Welcome Back to Campus – A Letter from LSSC President, Dr. Heather Bigard

Dear students,

As we begin another academic year, I am excited to welcome you to our campuses for your classes, activities, and student services. I first want to introduce myself, my name is Dr. Heather Bigard and on July 1, 2022, I became the 7th President of Lake-Sumter State College and the first female to hold that position. I am truly honored by the trust the District Board of Trustees placed in me and am proud to lead such a great college!

As some of you may know, I have been at LSSC for over five years now and previously served as the Provost and Executive Vice President. I look forward to getting to meet more of you this year and hope that if you see me on campus that you will stop and say, “hello”!

I also want to share some exciting updates with you.  First, we continue to offer courses in a variety of types including on-campus, traditional online, and real-time online. We’ve heard from many of you that you prefer the flexibility that online learning provides you, and we will continue to offer those options. However, some students prefer courses on campus, so those options will remain available.

Starting this fall, you may find that a tutor has been included in your course to serve as an additional resource to support your learning. I hope that you will take advantage of these opportunities to maximize your learning experience.

As you come on campus, you may have noticed a lot of improvements and some offices that may have moved. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need help finding an office or a service.

Leesburg Campus

• A new solar workstation was installed outside the Science-Math Building so you can study outside and charge your phone, tablet, or laptop. More of these workstations are coming to all three campuses!
  • A new sails pavilion for events and outdoor learning was built behind the Science-Math Building.
  • The Veterans Lounge is now located in the Student Center with additional improvements coming soon. 

South Lake Campus

• A new shaded patio is nearing completion outside the Student Lounge in Building 2.
  • The Learning Center is now located on the second floor of the Cooper Memorial Library.
  • The Veterans Lounge will be located in Building 2 near the Student Lounge.

Sumter Center

• We will begin work on an outdoor pavilion near the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) training center to serve as an outdoor classroom and learning space for students. This pavilion will be entirely solar-powered and will also serve as a learning laboratory for students who enroll in our new renewable energy certificate.

It’s truly an exciting time to be an LSSC Lakehawk!

I encourage you to take advantage of all the student resources available to you. You can learn about many of these resources and find ways to get involved with Student Life by attending the Welcome Back Bash hosted by Student Life and SGA.

• Leesburg Campus:  Monday, Aug. 29 from 10:45-12:45 near the Science-Math Building
  • South Lake Campus:  Tuesday, Aug. 30 from 11:30-1:30 outside Building 2

I hope you have a great year!

Go Lakehawks!
Dr. Bigard, President