The Health Information Technology, Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree prepares students for a career or advancement in any healthcare setting as a health information technician. Health information technicians are professions who ensure the equality of medical records in any format by verifying their completeness, accuracy, and proper entry into computer systems using computer applications to assemble, analyze, and report patient data for the purpose of improving patient care and controlling costs. They also assist with training users of Electronic Health Records and Personal Health Records to ensure the privacy and security of personal health information.
The Health Information Technology, Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Graduates are eligible to take the national qualifying examination for certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT). Graduates are also eligible to take the national exam to become a Certified Associate in Health Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS) through the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
- Healthcare Informatics Specialist, Technical Certificate (24 credits)
- Medical Information Coder/Biller, Technical Certificate (37 credits)
Brandy Ziesemer (MA, CAGS in Medical Informatics Teaching and Integration) has taught at LSSC since 1997. Brandy has RHIA and CCS credentials and was an AHIMA-approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer from 2011 through 2017. She is also an active member of AHIMA, HIMSS, and PAHCOM and services as the FHIMA Clinical Coding Roundtables Committee Chair. She is the editor for PAHCOM’s six practice management manuals. She and her husband moved to Florida from Northern California in 1993.[/threecol_two_last]
- Total Program Credit Hours: 70
- Offered Partially Online: Yes—approximately 75% online; 25% hybrid courses available
- Program Base Camp: Clermont and Leesburg
- Special Accreditation: www.cahiim.org
- Typical Starting Positions: Health Information or Electronic Health Records Technician, Billing or Insurance Specialist, Coding Specialist
- Starting Salary: $12.40/hr. Data Source
- Job Growth in Area through 2026: 22.8% Data Source