This message was sent to all students on April 2, 2020, from Dr. Wymer, LSSC VP for Academic Affairs.
Thank you for your continued patience and flexibility as we moved all spring instruction to remote delivery and are making decisions about the Summer 2020 schedule.
Many of you have asked questions about summer courses, and we have been working on answers for you. LSSC is committed to your academic progression and will offer a robust summer academic schedule.
Here is what we know so far:
- Summer Online Courses starting May 4: Will happen as planned in Canvas.
- Summer Hybrid Courses starting May 4: Will be changed to a new type of course called “synchronous online”. Synchronous online courses will meet online during some or all of the scheduled class time. Your instructor will provide this information when the class starts.
- Summer On-Campus Seated Courses starting May 4: Will be changed to a new type of course called “synchronous online”. Synchronous online courses will meet online during some or all of the scheduled class time. Your instructor will provide this information when the class starts.
Meeting in an online environment means that students and instructors will log on to Canvas, Big Blue Button or Zoom at a designated time and day. Instruction will occur online in a live setting allowing for real time interaction and engagement. Many students who prefer seated courses may appreciate the structured and interactive nature of this type of instruction.
So what happens now?
- You do not need to do anything at this time to your schedule.
- College staff will be updating summer student schedules over the next few days to change “seated” and “hybrid” classes to “synchronous online” classes in LOIS.
- You will be notified if any of your classes have been changed to a new delivery type, at which point you will be able see the details about when your classes will be meeting online.
- You may change your academic schedule through the established add/drop deadlines outlined on the Academic Registration Calendar, but we encourage you to wait to do so until the updates are made to the Summer classes that start on May 4, 2020. These changes will be complete by the morning of Tuesday, April 7.
Decisions regarding changes to the Summer courses starting June 22 will be released by April 17, 2020.
Douglas A. Wymer, Ph.D.
Vice President, Academic Affairs
Lake-Sumter State College