The Financial Aid Office administers the federal student employment programs in accordance with state and federal regulations, as well as Lake-Sumter State College policies and procedures. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for determining student eligibility and primarily responsible for the allocation of positions.
The federal student employment programs at LSSC are administered without regard to race, creed, color, sex, physical disability, or national origin.
The objectives of the federal student employment programs are:
- To offer jobs to students who need to earn funds to help pay for their educational expenses.
- To provide a work experience which will enhance the student’s educational and/or occupational goals.
- To provide additional services which would otherwise not exist for LSSC and for participating public or private non-profit organizations.
Federal Work Study (FWS)
Overview of FWS
This federally funded program provides part-time jobs for eligible students to enable them to earn part of their college expenses while gaining valuable experience.
Funds are allocated each year by the federal government based on availability, number of needy applicants, and utilization of funds in prior years. Students will be awarded based on their eligibility based upon their FAFSA information. FWS is awarded to eligible students as a part of their financial aid award package. FWS funding is limited, therefore not every student that meets the general eligibility criteria will receive a FWS award.
In order to qualify for a FWS job, a student must meet the following conditions:
- Submit a Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Be a citizen or have permanent residency in the United States. Students who hold visitor or student visas are not eligible to participate in this program
- Demonstrate financial need through the financial aid application process and receive a FWS award.
- Have documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility (e.g. Social Security card and Driver’s License).
How to Apply for FWS
Go to https://www.collegecentral.com/lssc/Student.cfm
Returning users: login to the system
– Click “Activate your account
– Use your Lakehawk Email for your User ID and Email Address
– Click “Activate Account” button and complete the profile registration form
Once logged in, Select “Search – My School’s Jobs” button
In the Keyword box, enter “FWS” and click “View Jobs by Keyword” This will bring up a list of Federal Work Study (FWS) positions available on all 3 campuses.
If you are interested in a particular campus, add the initials below to your keyword search. Leesburg – LE, South Lake – SL, Sumter – SU
If you have any trouble using the system, please contact Career Development Services (CDS).
Federal Work Study Community Service Learning (FCSL)
Overview of FCSL
Community Service jobs are an option open to students who qualify for Federal Work Study and offers them the opportunity to help the community. To be considered employed in a community service job for FWS purposes, the student must provide services that are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents or to solve particular problems related to those residents’ needs. Fields that are included in the Federal Community Service job description are health care, child care, literacy training, education (including tutorial services), welfare social services, career counseling, public safety, support services to students with disabilities, recreation, rural development, and community improvement. LSSC has a number of positions on campus that meet these criteria.