In compliance with Section 119.071(5), Florida Statutes, Lake-Sumter State College (LSSC) issues this notification regarding the purpose for the collection and use of your Social Security Number (SSN).
Lake-Sumter State College collects and uses your SSN only to perform the College duties and responsibilities. To protect your identity, LSSC will maintain the privacy of your SSN and never release it to unauthorized parties in compliance with state and federal laws. The College assigns you a unique student/employee identification number which is used for associated employment and educational purposes at LSSC, including the access of your college records.
Your SSN is used for legitimate business purposes for completing and processing the following:
- Federal I-9 (Department of Homeland Security)
- Federal W4, W2, 1099 (Internal Revenue Service)
- Federal Social Security taxes (FICA)
- Distributing Federal W2 (Internal Revenue Service)
- Unemployment Reports (FL Dept of Revenue)
- Florida Retirement Contribution reports (FL Dept of Revenue)
- Workers Comp Claims and Department of Labor Requirements (FCSRMC and Department of Labor)
- 403b and 457b contribution reports
- Group health, life, and dental coverage enrollment
- Background and drug screening
Providing your Social Security Card is a condition of employment at LSSC.
Admissions and Registration
Federal legislation relating to the Hope Tax Credit requires that all postsecondary institutions report student SSN’s to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This IRS requirement makes it necessary for community colleges to collect the SSN of every student. A student may refuse to disclose his or her SSN to the College for this purpose, but the IRS is then authorized to fine the student in the amount of $50.
In addition to the federal reporting requirements, the public school system in Florida uses the SSN as a student identifier (section 1008.386, F.S.). In a seamless K-20 system, it is beneficial for postsecondary institutions to have access to the same information for purposes of tracking and assisting students in the smooth transition form one education level to the next.
SSNs appear on official transcripts and are used for business purposes in accordance with parameters outlined by the U.S. Department of Education.
A student’s SSN is required for the following financial aid purposes:
- The United States Department of Education’s (USDOE) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) requires all applicants to report their SSN to be used for all federal financial aid programs as a student identifier for processing and reporting. In addition to its use by USDOE as a student identifier, the SSN is required in order for the Department of Homeland Security to investigate citizenship status, for the Federal Work Study Program, and is required on all loan applications for use by the lender/servicer/guarantor.
- Lake-Sumter State College collects a student’s SSN on certain institutional scholarship applications for student files and federal and state audit/reporting purposes.
- If you are a recipient of a State of Florida grant or scholarship such as the Florida Student Assistance Grant, Florida Work Experience or Bright Futures the State of Florida Department of Education will require the use of the SSN on their grant/scholarship disbursement website and for reporting purposes.
Veteran Administration Benefits
The SSN is required for enrollment verification and reporting for all Veterans Administration beneficiaries. A Veteran student is required to report his/her SSN in order to receive the appropriate benefits and for tracking purposes.
Student, faculty, and staff X-ID number will be used in the libraries’ patron database (LINCC) for online login authentication, patron verification, and the elimination of duplicate records.
Educational Opportunity Programs
Educational Opportunity Programs at LSSC are youth outreach projects (TRIO programs) funded by discretionary grants from the US Departments of Education. In order to verify a participant’s project eligibility, social security numbers are required and also later used when submitting information for the Annual Performance Reports due to the US Departments of Education.
These programs, funded through the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation (AWI), use your SSN as an identifier for program enrollment and completion. Also, it is used for entering placement information into either the OSMIS or the Employ Florida Marketplace statewide data collection and reporting system. Because these are
LSSC collects contractor SSN/TIN information in order to file the required information returns with the Internal Revenue Service, as required and authorized by federal law.
Federal and State Regulations
- Tax-related uses are authorized and/or required by 26 USC 3402, 3406, 1441, 6109 & 31.6011(b)-2; 8 USC 1324a; and 20 CFR 404.452
- Benefits-related uses are authorized by 119.071(5)(a)6.b.,f.,g, F.S
- Background/employment-related uses are required by 8 USC 1324(a) and 42 USC 653(a)
- Worker Compensation Claims are authorized by 440.185, F.S., Department of Labor, FCSRMC
- Unemployment uses are authorized by State of Florida; disclosure per 119.071(5)(a)6.b., F.S.
- Retirement uses are authorized by
FloridaDepartment of Revenue; disclosure per 119.071(5)(a)6.b., F.S.
Admissions and Registration
- Tracking uses are authorized by SBE Rule 6A-10955(3)(e); 1008.386, F.S. and the General Education Provisions Act (20 USC 1221(e-1)).
- Hope/Lifetime Tax Credit uses are authorized by 26 USC 6050S and Federal Register, June 16, 2000/IRC Section 25A
- Registration uses are authorized by 119.071(5), F.S.
- Issuance of Form 1098T for tuition payment reports are authorized by 26 USC 3402, 6051
Veteran Administration Benefits
- Required by 38 USC 3471
- Collection uses are required by Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (§§483 and 484); 20 USC 1078, 1090, 1091 & 1092
- Required by 34 CFR 668.16 for administrative usages
- Required by 34 CFR 668.33 for residency verification usages
- Required by 34 CFR 668.36 for FAFSA verification usages
- Required by 34 CFR 668.32(i) and 34 CFR 668.36 for Federal Work Study usages
- Authorized by 26 CFR 1.6050 for issuance of Form 1098E, a tax form used to report student loan interest
- Required by 119.071(5)(a)
- Required by Internal Revenue Code, Section 6109; Title 26 US Code